Created to Serve Our Local Community
Hope for Suffolk was founded in 2010 as a community development initiative to assist families in crisis. Over the years, we have evolved into a youth development organization that has 2 components: (1) a paid internship and (2) training in life skills. Over 40 high school interns work on our organic vegetable farm and learn first-hand how to thrive, not just in the workplace but in life. The internships is 8 months and we work intensively with our teens to set and achieve goals, develop relationships and learn skills that will serve them throughout life.
We are explicitly Christian and teach from a biblical point of view, although our teenage interns are not required to be Christians.
We cater to youth who often lack access to opportunities.
We work with teens but support the whole family.
We have academic scholarships, college internships, volunteer & community service opportunities, leadership development opportunities and an amazing Harvest Festival that the teens put on.
In order to pay these amazing teenagers, we sell the organic produce they grow in a “CSA” (Community Supported Agriculture) or “Farm Shares.”
- Work: Working is part of God’s blessing and part of being human
- Participation: We are all participants in the process of community development, reconciliation and transformation.
- Evangelism: The gospel is implicit in our actions and explicit in our words.
- Discipleship: Striving together to become more Christ-like
- Biblical Justice: A society in which people treat one another as the image bearers of God
- Racial Reconciliation: A value for the richness and blessing of diversity
- Sustainability: All of God’s creation should be managed with the utmost care for the future